Thursday, January 22, 2009

Recording Music

As I mentioned in my first post, I am taking a music recording class where I learn the history of the music business and how to record music. I had my first experience with recording today. I learned that it takes more than one take to get the recording the way I want it. I spent at least 15 to 20 minutes recording just the intro for the bass part. But, until then, I had never played with a metronome and I had played with my brother, who is a drummer, only for about five minutes. When I would play without a metronome or a drummer, everything sounds and feels right, but when I went to play with one, I realized how far off I was.

Later in the quarter, I will record my brother on drums, maybe a friend of mine and/or myself on guitar, and maybe I will add some synth sounds. I also will have to make it a music video. I still don't know for sure what I am going to do for that. I am thinking I might just film whoever ends up in the song playing whatever instrument, but if I play guitar and bass, that might pose a problem. As you can see, I still have much to work out.

1 comment:

  1. Me personally, I have never attempted to record music, and don't plan to. Good luck with your recording.

    ReplyDelete